I’m a Virtualization / Infrastructure Consultant with over 6 years’ IT experience in both the public and private sectors. I have gained my experience working with MSPs in the UK, ultimately enabling them to provide solutions. I consistently strive to improve my knowledge to stay relevant with the ever-changing IT industry by investing time in studying and creating articles for my independent blog.
Available on request.
Available on LinkedIn.
KEY KNOWEDGE AND EXPERTISE
- Infrastructure Consultant with experience in Design, Implementation and Support of projects for major clients such as APS (Advanced Payment Solutions), 02 Telefonica, Wren Kitchens, Achilles, BCMS, BBR (Berry Bro’s and Rudd), The London Taxi Company & Capita.
- Technical Expertise Encompassing: Virtualization, VMware vSphere, vCloud Director, Horizon View, VMware Site Recovery Manager, Veeam Enterprise Manager & Backup and Replication, Upgrading vSphere Environments to vSphere 6 & 6.5, Troubleshooting vSphere Deployments, Designing Environments and Implementation. Storage experience with HP 3PAR, HP P2000/4000 and NetApp, Windows 2012 R2, Microsoft SQL 2012/2014 Including Availability Groups, Microsoft Exchange 2010/2013 and Office 365, Windows Hyper-V and SCVMM and Microsoft Azure. Also working with Hyperconverged technologies such as Cisco FlexPod.
- Further Technical Experience: Involving Acquiring VMware VCP5 & VCP6, Citrix XenDesktop 7 & 7.5, Cisco UCS Implementation, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu, Designed and Configured a VMware Horizon View Deployment including Windows Server 2012 R2, Including Performance and OS Optimization, Security, Profile Management and GPO Management.
- Exemplary organisational skills: able to prioritise, independently take responsibility for complex tasks and work precisely with a sharp eye for detail.
- Flexible with the ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies, bespoke applications, processes and complex environments.
- Proven track record of successfully implementing and supporting a wide range of projects for a multitude of clients. (£5k – £15m+).
- Substantial interpersonal skills: comfortable liaising at all levels, as well as external organisations and customers, with considerable experience of providing fanatical customer service.
- Confident with the ability to provide expert consultation on Infrastructure Designs and Projects.
- VMware vSphere 5.1, 5.5, 6.0
- vCloud Director 5.5, 5.6, 6, 8.10 for Service Providers
- VMware Horizon View
- Server 2003, 2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016
- Active Directory
- SQL 2012, 2014, 2016
- Exchange 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016
- Hyper-V / SCVMM
- Office 365
- Windows 7, 8.1, 10
- Servers and Blades
- XenDesktop 7.5
- ACTC 10.8, 10.9
- ACSP 10.8, 10.9
- Backup and Replication
- Cloud Connect
- v3 Foundation
April 2017 – Present
- Designed, Configured and Implemented solutions required by the business such as WSUS, WDS, ESET & Dell Servers and Storage.
- Provided Expert consultation on Backup, DR, RPO & RTO, and Configured Veeam Backup and Replication to achieve these requirements.
- Secured Infrastructure to prevent potential vulnerabilities such as the SMBv1 Zero-Day Exploits highlighted by the WannaCry Ransomware Outbreak.
- Administered VMware vSphere 5.5-6.5, Dell Servers and Storage, Microsoft Exchange 2016 Hybrid Deployment, Windows Server 2008 R2-2016 including roles such as AD, ADFS, DNS, WDS, WSUS, Group Policy, Clustering and Hyper-V.
- Produced Documentation and provided training to members of the IT Team to further increase knowledge.
- Successfully migrated VMware vSphere 5.5 to vSphere 6.5 Including upgrading and configuring Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5.
- Deployed Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V Cluster consisting of Dell PowerEdge R430 Rack Servers and Dell PowerVault MD3420 Storage, ultimately consolidating infrastructure and reducing costs on licensing.
January 2017 – April 2017
- Provided expert consultation and support for Hosted Platform issues, Projects and P1 Incidents.
- Involved in Troubleshooting using Microsoft Powershell Scripts and SQL Querys.
- Configured Reverse Proxy Security Appliances and Load Balancing Policies.
- Presented Technical advice on SQL AlwaysOn Availability Groups and Databases
- Investigated Complex platform Issues with AD, SQL, Microsoft Azure, SIMS ID (3rd Party Developed RDS Front-end) and SIMS (3rd Party Application).
- Administered VMware vSphere 6.0 and NetApp Storage to ensure Infrastructure availability for customers, this also included providing recommendations for improvement and automation.
- Configured VPN Certificates and routing to enable customers to use 3rd Party Applications with SIMS.
- Successfully performed a migration of SQL Database Rules on a Reverse Proxy Security Appliance (Hexatier) to a very tight deadline to ensure availability of 3rd party applications to clients as per SLA agreements.
- Quickly learnt SIMS (3rd Party Application) to provide support for clients on the Hosted Platform.
May 2016 – December 2016
- Designed Infrastructure Solutions for 3rd party’s projects with a combined value of £15M+ that were successfully implemented in LTC’s £300M Ansty Facility, this included AGV’s (Automated Guided Vehicles) and VCATS (Vehicle Configuration and Test Systems).
- Provided Expert Troubleshooting on Environments using VMware PowerCLI and Microsoft Powershell, This included VMware Horizon View 7.0, VMware vSphere 6, Windows Server 2012 R2 and Active Directory.
- Liaised with suppliers to ensure requirements were met before the expected project delivery dates.
- Produced technical documentation and Implemented Office 365 SharePoint pages to cover all aspects of the ongoing projects.
- Created a Project Design to completely overhaul the Dealer Management System (Kerridge) to prepare for rapid expansion due to a new vehicle being released.
- Gained understanding of manufacturing processes to ensure designs and projects met the strict requirements of the £300M Ansty facility.
- Liaised with stakeholders weekly to provide progress reports on ongoing projects in the London office.
- Designed and implemented a Windows Server 2012 R2 VDI Deployment using VMware Horizon View 7 and VMware vSphere 6.0.
- Successfully populated AD Extended properties using Windows Powershell, this was required to improve communication throughout the organisation by improving the quality of the Global Address List (GAL).
- Created technical documentation and provided training to the IT Department and End-users.
- Implemented a Wireless system to Improve Wireless coverage for the London Taxi Showroom.
- Configured a Cloud Phone System (Magnetic North) for the London Office Users, this included configuring Call Routing, DDI’s, Call Groups & Extensions for end-users.
I’ve been working with while he’s been at The London Taxi Company. I have found his approach very refreshing and really energetic, which I’ll admit has made me up my own game to keep up! Jacob is a very pro-active IT professional, he’s the kind of person who will look something up before saying anything which means that what he says is always backed by research / education. Really glad to have started working with him, and hope to do so again in the future.Graeme Vermeulen
January 2016 – May 2016
- Worked closely with senior technical consultants to implement projects to meet customers 21st Century expectations.
- Acted as the sole expert engineer while working on customers’ sites, this included cases that required further in-depth investigation and root cause analysis.
- Actively prioritised customer satisfaction, managed expectations and initiated escalations to service providers and vendors where necessary to avoid detrimental impact on business operations.
- Successfully created customer documentation and provided training to the 1st and 2nd Line Engineers to improve the effectiveness of the service desk.
- Successfully completed an office migration for Amoria Bond at their Cologne office, This involved migrating all servers and networking equipment following migrating services to a UK Datacentre to save on monthly rental costs.
September 2015 – Jan 2016
- Specialist investigation to provide root cause analysis for complex issues while on customers’ sites.
- Delivered projects for clients such as VMware Infrastructure upgrades and server consolidation, this also included cloud migrations such as Office 365.
- Creating audit documentation of new and existing clients to provide training to the Managed Services team.
- Worked on an on-call shift rota to provide 24/7 support for customers.
- Successfully delivered multiple VMware Infrastructure Upgrades.
- Migrated a wide range of companies consisting of 50-100 Users+ to Office 365.
I’ve worked with Jacob during both of his employments with ACS – he has always been very helpful and positive about his work! Thanks!Indiah Fitzhugh
March 2015 – September 2015
- Administration of Softcat Managed Services Cloud Platform consisting of 10 HP blade chassis running VMware vSphere 5.5/6 & Microsoft Hyper-V. This platform consisted of a petabyte of HP 3PAR storage and ~1500 VM’s providing multiple critical services to clients.
- Configured multiple servers/services for customers as per requirements from the Softcat Managed Services Project Team.
- Managed a Veeam Backup and Replication environment that was provided as part of Softcat’s Managed Service offering.
- Developed technical documentation to improve the knowledge of 1st & 2nd Line Support Engineers on the Team.
- Provided monthly licensing reports for billing as per service provider licensing requirements.
- Ensuring 99.9% availability of services by configuring VMware Clustering, DRS and HA to adhere to strict SLA agreements.
- Established and improved current relationships with partners.
- Designed and Implemented a Lab Environment using VMware vCloud Director & vSphere 6.0 for the Cloud Softcat Managed Services Team to increase knowledge across the team and provide an environment for testing purposes before implementing changes/upgrades on customer’s servers. This increased ROI on the Lab Environment hardware costs and reduced OPEX spending on training.
- Implemented a Software Asset Management Agent (SNOW) on 1500+ VM’s to ensure Softcat were adhering to software licensing requirements, this included automating the deployment of the agent on these VM’s.
- Provided technical input on Designs for Veeam Cloud Connect, this included meeting with Veeam to discuss how this platform would be implemented to ensure Softcat used industry best practices to increase the performance of the solution and ultimately improve the RTO for customers.
- Implemented vSphere Automation using VMware Kickstart scripts to build and configure HP Blades for the Softcat Managed Services Platform.