Change Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Location on Windows Small Business Server
You should initially check the size of the drives by looking at the Server Storage configuration. Open the Windows SBS Console and select the Backup and Server Storage Tab. Next, select Server Storage to check the space available on each partition. When highlighting the C: drive you’ll see the size of the different components that you may wish to move with the Storage Wizards on the right side of this view of the console. Under the Storage Task the Move Windows Update Repository Data Wizard only moves the downloaded content. This will not move the WSUS Metadata or SUS database (SUSDB.mdf and SUSDB.ldf)
You can then move the location of the WSUS Content Content Directory by using the below instructions –
- Open the SBS console and select Backup and Server Storage.
- Select the Server Storage tab.
- Click the Move Windows Update Repository Data Wizard.
- When prompted to take a backup, we recommend that you select Yes.
- Select the new drive location and click Move.
During the move the wizard will create a WSUS directory on the new location and will begin copying the contents into the :WSUSWsusContent directory.
If you want to relocate the WSUS Database this can be done by using the below instructions –
- Launch SQL Server Management Studio Express console as an administrator. It is located under Start > Programs > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio Express.
- Fill in the following information and then click Connect
○ Server type: Database Engine
○ Servername: .pipeMSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEEsqlquery
○ Authentication: Windows Authentication
- Expand Databases and right-click on SUSDB and select Tasks > Detach… from the context menu.
- Select the “Drop Connection” checkbox and click OK.
- Open explorer and move the C:WSUSSUSDB folder to the :WSUS directory.
- To reattach the database, right-click on Database and select Attach… from the context menu.
- On the Attach Databases page select the Add button.
Browse to the new location of the SUSDB.mdf database and select OK twice to complete the move.
You can also clean up the WSUS Database by following the below –
- Open the native WSUS console. Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Microsoft Windows server Update Services 3.0 SP1.
- Expand your server and select Options > Server Cleanup Wizard.
- Leave all boxes checked and click Next to start the cleaning process.
- Once the scan has completed it will display the summary information. The key information is the Disk space freed by deleting unused content files. Click Finish to complete the wizard.